Considering the recent weather I think the course is withstanding it fairly well. The greens are definitely a little softer now but the ball is still rolling true. Once we have carried out the drainage work outlined below we shall be verti-draining greens and fairways as well as blowing leaves. Soil temperatures are still warm enough for the grass to be growing as the definition on the course is excellent. The disease prevention programme is working well with a combination of fungicide applications and phosphate/chelated iron applications.
WINTER PROGRAMME 2017
• 5th Hole Install new drain into sump pond dug out behind Hope Hut. Laterals coming off the main drain to stop area getting wet during winter. Main drain to be dug out with digger, laterals using trencher.
• 9th Hole Dig out area that blisters during winter to see if there is a joint there and repair.
• 11th Hole Install new drain next to right hand fairway bunker through trees into brook. Laterals coming off the main drain to stop area getting wet during winter. Propose to change bunker whilst working in that area. Bunker to be reshaped. A new drain installed and new sand. All work to be carried out with digger. Pipe and fill in narrow ditch next to tee.
• 16th Hole Install a main drain from fairway across to ditch on right hand side at the top end of the copse. Laterals coming off to dry up semi rough beyond trees. Main drain to be dug out by digger, laterals using trencher.
• 17th Hole Pipe and fill in ditch dividing carry and fairway as it is not improving the hole or taking any water as planned.
Plan is to have Steve working on trees Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. This will be working hole by hole removing all lower hanging branches and any suckers growing from the base. Main focal point will be on 9, tidying up the willow following the storm damage and working on the ditch line up to the pine trees. Regarding any tree removal around the 18th green, I feel that this should only be undertaken if the membership is in agreement.
Having discussed the pros and cons of liners with Steve and Wain I feel that this could be an expensive exercise that may or may not work. Therefore, I would like to propose that we under-take a 5 year plan that involves us removing the existing sand, reshaping bunker if required, checking drains and putting new sand in.
Continue using the rubber mats at the ends and top up majority of paths this winter. Work to be carried out on 10, 14 and 15 as a priority.