The Chesterfield Golf Club was founded in 1897 and its first members played a course in Somersall Park. The Club moved to its present site in 1906 when Somersall Park proved too short. The original Walton course consisted of nine holes, taking in much of the land now occupied by the first six holes together with some which is now a public recreation area. In the late 1920's the Club acquired Yew Tree Farm and the course was played much as it is now. In May 1939 - four months before war was declared - work started on a new clubhouse to replace the original wooden building, it was opened in December that year. Meanwhile the MOD had requisitioned some land which meant just 9 holes could be played, being the new ones just completed.
In 1942 the famous Henry Cotton played an exhibition game against 3 local professionals to raise money for the Red Cross - photos of this event are on display in the Clubhouse.
When the War finished, the Club obtained its land back together with £738-3-0 compensation for any damage.
In 1952 the present 7th and 8th holes were added and the dangerous 'Murder Alley' had been consolidated into one hole, the present 9th. The new practice putting green came into use in the summer of 1955.
Access to the club was through Riggotts Lane until 1959 when a new two way road was created on the old exit to Walton Road.
Over the years the clubhouse was improved and enlarged creating new facilities for members and adding the new entrance hall, professionals shop and Secretary's office which is as it is today.
Various improvements have been made to the greens over the last few years including a total rebuild of the seventh in 2003 and eight greens in 2006. Work has also been undertaken on the men's and ladies locker rooms together with a 'new look' clubhouse with updated decorations and furnishings and a new bar.
The view from inside the Clubhouse over the surrounding countryside is unrivalled by any in the county.