We all appreciate the impact that declining membership numbers has on the sustainability of a golf club but we have the ability to grow numbers from within by developing our own Junior Section.
Our Junior Section consists of Cadets, Academy Juniors [non-CONGU handicap] and Juniors [CONGU handicap]
The club has joined the Golf Passport scheme providing a structured approach to golf coaching and education through the Golf Foundation. We also have Club Mark accrediation.
Our Cadets are:
- Coached by our qualified club professional
- Supported by a group of DBS checked club members meaning that they are fit to work with young children
- Provided with clubs for the taster and coaching sessions
For those who complete the coaching programme they:
- Receive a Chesterfield Golf Club cadet shirt
- Have the opportunity to gain a Cadet handicap, play on our cadet course and take part in some competitions
- Develop the life skills of determination, character, resilience, honesty and integrity
- Learn about etiquette, a right and wrong way to do things
Our practise ground has been enhanced by the addition of six practise holes that can be used by cadets who are currently unable to use the main course; cadets will be assessed by our professional and, on reaching a suitable standard, will be given a cadet handicap enabling them to play in six hole competitions from the 150 yds markers on the main course.
For Juniors with an official handicap, there is a fixture list which includes five major trophies, additional Stableford events, and an ongoing order of merit to be played for throughout the season. In addition, those Juniors with a CONGU handicap of 18 of lower can apply to enter into men’s or ladies competitions.